Fans of the series will know today marks its 15th Birthday. 70,000,000 copies of the series have been purchased. A none too shabby 10,000,000 of those sales are from GT5. What better way to celebrate 15 years than to announce GT6 (and the launch of the Academy in July for this year)……..
Traffic to the Gran Turismo news sites must be heavy. Both the official site and GTPlanet are struggling to stay up and serve pages. When it’s back up there is a comprehensive list of announced GT6 features here: http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_1910783.html
If you can’t wait for the official pages to load GTPlanet’s twitter feed has a nice summary of events: https://twitter.com/GTPlanetNews
Edit: Added details from the page to the bottom of the blog as it seems more down than up.
Edit 2: Some actual gameplay video from Jordan @ GTPlanet
Thrustmast have also recently announce their latest addon for the T500RS, the official GT5 wheel: http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B0/first-replica-ferrari-gt-wheel-gaming-fans
More GT6 Videos are emerging, a nice summary of the 15th Birthday event can be seen below. GT6’s core has also been confirmed as the engine that will power the Academy standalone game/demo in July! For most of us that will be our first opportunity to try the new physics/game. Polyphony Digital are claiming further suprises for E3 and Gamecon, and demo booths for for those lucky enough to attend!
Features lifted from the site incase it’s down and you’re desperate……………………..
Cars featured on the GT6 Silverstone demo (* denotes new to Gran Turismo):
Acura NSX ’91
*Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale ’11
*Alpine A110 1600S ’68
*Audi Sport quattro S1 Rally Car ’86
Ferrari 458 Italia ’09
*Ferrari Dino 246 GT ’71
Ford GT ’06
*KTM X-BOW R ’12
Lamborghini Countach LP400 ’74
*Light Car Company Rocket ’07
McLaren MP4-12C ’10
*Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 ’11
Nissan 370Z (Z34) (GT Academy Version) ’08
Nissan 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy Version) ’08
Nissan GT-R Black edition (GT Academy Version) ’12
*Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport
Nissan Leaf G (GT Academy Version)
*Tesla Motors Model S Signature Performance ’12
Toyota 86 GT ‘12
Summary of new Gran Turismo 6 features announced by Kazunori Yamauchi:
New Game Engine
• Compact, nimble operation
• Flexible expandability
• A new rendering engine that pushes the limits of the PS3
New Physics Engine
• New suspension and kinematics model
• New tyre model
• New aerodynamics model
• Technical partnership with Yokohama Rubber and KW Automotive
1200 Cars, abundant custom parts, and on-going DLC
• From historic cars to the latest racing cars, the game contains a total of 1200 cars.
• Multiple aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for almost all cars.
• Players can create their own personalised custom car in the game.
• Cars will be continually added online
33 locations, 71 layouts
• 33 Locations and 71 layouts will be provided from day1 (7 more locations and 19 more layouts than GT5)
• More new tracks will continue to be provided online
New Course Maker
• Massive scenery spanning several tens of square kilometers
• A new course generation algorithm
• Players can form their own communities
• Various community levels from local and domestic to global
• Players themselves can create and manage their own online events
New User Interface
• Balancing directional key operation and touch operation
• Quick response
• Shortening of loading times
Multi Device Compatibility
• Smart Phone
At the same time as the PS3 version of GT6 the “Real Driving Simulator” launches, a mobile version and web application version of GT6, will be created to enjoy Gran Turismo’s massive community space.
Real/Virtual “Edge Effect” Activity
A variety of “Edge Effects”, the chemical reactions between the real world and the virtual world for which the Gran Turismo series is famous, are also planned for GT6. Exciting collaborations between various automotive manufacturers and collaborations with brands crossing different industries will be revealed gradually across the next six months.